Autopsy and .bin files

Any Autopsy specific discussions, events, module releases, that don't fall into the other categories.

Moderator: carrier

Autopsy and .bin files

Postby obiwanabe 95 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:14 pm

Hi everyone

I'm having a little bit of trouble with using Autopsy and other forensic tools as it happens, so im here to hopefully get answers. Can Autopsy search through .bin files and get data such as audio files, videos and images from them as when i put the file into Autopsy it doesnt find anything and I am curious is there is a way which the program can search through the file or if its not possible at present. Also if anyone knows about Encase 8, can it do the same as ive used that but it doesnt show anything but hex data.

hope to hear back soon

Obi
obiwanabe 95

Re: Autopsy and .bin files

Postby Hoyt » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:51 pm

Where does the file come from, what generated it, how did you get it?

".bin" is typically used to designate a binary file, but it depends on the software that created it. Some software I've seen creates a simple ZIP archive, but names it with the BIN extension. Other times it can mean an optical disc image such as the case with BIN/CUE files. I can't remember off the top of my head if Autopsy supports BIN files as a Data Source or not, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't. If it does and this is a file that you've located in your current case, you may need to export it, add it to Autopsy as a new data source, then run ingest against that.

I have no idea about EnCase.

Hoyt
Hoyt Harness, CFCE
Hoyt

Return to Autopsy General