Linux DB in multi-user setup

A place to ask the community for help with using Autopsy.

Moderator: carrier

Linux DB in multi-user setup

Postby newmajam » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:13 pm

Hi All. Has anyone attempted a multi-user setup with a postgreSQL install on Linux rather than Windows?

I'm hoping the underlying OS of the DB will be transparent to the Windows components connecting to it, but if anyone has tried this already I'd be grateful if they could share their experience. Otherwise, I will let you know what happens when I try.
newmajam

Re: Linux DB in multi-user setup

Postby Hoyt » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:15 pm

I built it with a dedicated server stack on the backend using five physical Linux servers. It was quite complex and I retired before I got all the bugs worked out. IIRC, my biggest issues surrounded getting zookeeper running properly. I could get it all working and a reboot would throw things into a tizzy. I don't remember any issues with client-side connectivity tests as we only ran Autopsy on Windows workstations. I haven't reached a point where I can support using Autopsy on Linux in a production environment... yet.

I had planned to fully document the experience, but I surrendered my notes when I retired since they would have had a fit if I didn't. I don't have access to decent iron anymore or I'd finish the experiment. I do hope you'll post your experiences here. If I can help at all, I'd be glad to.

Hoyt
Hoyt Harness, CFCE
Hoyt

Return to Autopsy Troubleshooting