Building Sleuthkit on Windows using VC++

Tool requests, development, and troubleshooting topics related to TSK.

Moderator: carrier

Building Sleuthkit on Windows using VC++

Postby eldiener » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:44 pm

I have a number of questions about building SleuthKit on Windows using VC++. I am building from the Github source on the 'develop' branch ( perhaps the 'master' branch is safer ) . I have read the win32/BUILDING.txt file and have been following it pretty thoroughly, but I have further questions about it:

1) I have separately built the libewf, libvhdi, and libvmdk libraries in both 32-bit and 64-bit builds from the latest Github 'master' source for each library. Are the LIBEWF_HOME, LIBVHDI_HOME, and LIBVMDK_HOME supposed to point to the corresponding output directories where the dlls are built ? The output directories are different for 32-bit and 64-bit builds in Visual Studio so I would have to adjust these envuironment variables for building SleuthKit from source.

2) What is the difference between the 64-bit build I performed for those libraries and the upgraded 64-bit projects which are on the SleuthKit side ?

3) I am using VS2015 and not VS2010. So far I have had no problems with the supporting libraries. Is there any technical reason why SleuthKit wants people to use the pretty old VS2010 rather than the current VS2015 ?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
eldiener

Re: Building Sleuthkit on Windows using VC++

Postby danzek » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:32 pm

You can build it in VS 2015.

You may want to consider trying out the new vspkg tool MS just released for handling bzip2 and zlib (dependencies needed). From there, for static linking you need to point VS properties at the lib files and include folders for the dependencies and set your environment variables. These will be the Release folder (assuming that's your build target).
danzek

Re: Building Sleuthkit on Windows using VC++

Postby naw3 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:21 pm

I too have a query related to this thread. I'm new to Autopsy and Sleuthkit but would like to learn how top develop a simple Autopsy module. I'm a Java developer but new to Visual Studio etc. since I mainly use Linux and Mac.

I'm working my way through the BUILDING.TXT file that's in the Autopsy directory but I'm stuck at 2a, getting the sleuth kit setup.

I have downloaded the source for sleuthkit-release-4.5.0 and loaded the project into Visual Studio 2017 by clicking on the tsk-win.sln file in the win32 folder.

When trying to build the project I get "d:\program files (x86)\sleuthkit-release-4.5.0\tsk\img\vmdk.h(23): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'libvmdk.h': No such file or directory"

I have compiled the DLLs for libewf_64bit, libvhdi_64bit, libmdk_64bit and zlib into the corresponding release folders but I'm not sure where they should go.

I'd be grateful for any help.
naw3

Return to The Sleuth Kit (TSK)