Autopsy 4 Development on GNU/Linux & OS X

Get help with module writing or platform code changes.

Moderator: carrier

Autopsy 4 Development on GNU/Linux & OS X

Postby Hoyt » Mon May 23, 2016 9:28 pm

Is there anyone out there interested in working collaboratively on Autopsy 4 package development for GNU/Linux and OS X? I'm talking about deb, rpm, and OS X binaries that would have to be maintained in lockstep with the Windows releases.

If you're interested in at least discussing the possibility, let's start the conversation below.

Hoyt
Hoyt

Re: Autopsy 4 Development on GNU/Linux & OS X

Postby heythisisevan » Mon May 23, 2016 9:32 pm

I would love to help out with this. I have been wanting to make this happen for a while.
heythisisevan

Postby kalin » Tue May 24, 2016 12:51 am

While I mostly use the CLI, I am always interested to port any forensics package to Gentoo.

We have autopsy-2.24 in the tree which is a bit old :-)

Kalin.
kalin

Postby dersh » Tue May 24, 2016 3:06 pm

Yes, that would be great! As a Mac user, I would be very excited to see this happen.
dersh

Postby azrael » Thu May 26, 2016 6:52 am

Hi,

For the record - yes, I'm interested in working collaboratively with you and anyone else ! Not sure what skills I necessarily have to offer, but it's all in a good cause, so happy to devote some time to learning whatever is required.

Hope that others are willing to come on board too.

Cheers,

Azrael
azrael

Postby Hoyt » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:45 pm

Ok, this is encouraging. I was worried there that I wouldn't have any responses. How many of you are git/GitHub users? There are several things I can think of that we should discuss and make decisions about before we go to far, I think. Establishing a repository to work with ranks right up there.

Otherwise, I'll document my current experiments and failures here in this thread and see where that goes.
Hoyt

Postby heythisisevan » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:55 pm

I think starting a repo is a great idea.

Here is a link to my github profile: https://github.com/estuart

Evan
heythisisevan

Postby kalin » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:59 am

I guess a few of the replies were stuck in the moderation queue ;-)

I am using github: https://github.com/thinrope/
kalin

Postby Hoyt » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:55 pm

To further clarify my position on this, there are a few areas I'm interested in participating. I'd like to see maintained Autopsy 4 installs for both Debian-based and RPM-based distros, as well as OS X. That said, it looks like the evolution of Apple marches on with macOS/Sierra and the Apple File System (APFS). Those will present new research challenges regarding Macintosh as a forensic workstation and as a suspect device, so it might be best that we don't expend a lot of Kung Fu effort until at least one of us has our hands on stable installs of these on a supported Mac. In any case, the best of all worlds would result in current, stable, fully functional Deb, RPM, and DMG Autopsy 4 installation packages to stand alongside the current Windows install binary.

My personal focus is Linux Mint as a forensic workstation. I want to contribute in every way I'm able on the other fronts as well, of course, but I'm working mostly with Linux Mint. I'm currently waiting for the stable release of v18 and Autopsy 4.1.0. Once those are out, I'll be back at my experimenters bench and posting the steps I take and the results (i.e. failures) here in as detailed a manner as possible.

Hoyt
Hoyt

Postby Hoyt » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:51 am

This is putting the cart well ahead of the horse, but what are your thoughts on Snappy packaging vs deb/rpm? If Snapcraft does indeed become ubiquitous, I think it could be a nice distribution solution. See here:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/new ... everywhere
Hoyt

Next

Return to Autopsy Developers Corner