"Error opening the case"

A place to ask the community for help with using Autopsy.

Moderator: carrier

"Error opening the case"

Postby johnmccash » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:38 pm

Help!!!

So, I'm attempting to use the new Autopsy as a stand-in until I can get a copy of EnCase ordered... I downloaded & installed it, then added my image and ran all the preprocessing. Once that completed, I closed out of the case, and then tried to reopen it... Big Problem... When I open it as a recent case, I get no feedback at all, and if I open it by going to the .aut file, I get a pop-up with "Error: could not open the case in folder <path to .aut file>: Error opening the case". Is there any way to recover from this?

Was this because I didn't click the 'close case' button before exiting the application?

Thanks
John
johnmccash

Re: "Error opening the case"

Postby carrier » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:30 pm

Can you look in the log file for a more detailed explanation for this? Looking through the code, it is usually if the config file has become corrupt or image files have moved. But, in that case other messages usually appear. You can find the log file from "Help -> Open Log Folder"
carrier

Postby tuliobianchini » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:05 pm

Have the same problem here...
Was doing an keyword search and when trying to open the case another day this error happens.

The last line of log file show me this error:

Keyword Search experienced an error
Exception: org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Server at http://localhost:23232/solr/coreCase returned non ok status:500, message:Internal Server Error

If all log file is necessary i can put it here later

Thanks in advance and sorry for bad english
tuliobianchini

Postby carrier » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:30 pm

That appears to be a different kind of issue, which is more related to the keyword search server not being happy. If you restart Autopsy, does it help? We've found that helps in some cases with our SOLR keyword search server.
carrier

"Error opening the case" what happened?

Postby AKIO » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:23 pm

1) I upload a file and close the case.
2) Try open a recent case NPS-2011-SCENARIO4.E01.aut.
Try open a existing case
3) The case is not open, and displays the following error message: Error: could not open the case in folder E:\[corret path of the folder where the file is] NPS-2011-SCENARIO4.E01.aut: Error opening the case.
4) the log folder is empty, i.e., not contain any error log.
AKIO

Postby German Schaefer » Mon May 04, 2015 7:33 pm

Hi, forensic colleagues..!!

I have the same problem..!!

I created a case, and I have added four forensic images of four devices. After several days, all ingests ran very well. It was hard work for Autopsy and PC...je

I create several types of reports without problem (excel, HTML and KML) but when I wanted to generate the report "Files - txt", after several minutes, The Autopsy crashed. The case was not closed normally.

When I reopen Autopsy and I try to open the case, it's fail with the alert "Error opening the case".

The log say:

=============LOG===============================================================
may 04, 2015 4:20:07 PM org.sleuthkit.autopsy.coreutils.Logger logUserFriendlyOnly
GRAVE: Error opening the case:
Exception: org.sleuthkit.autopsy.casemodule.CaseActionException: Error reading case XML file: G:\Autopsy\15.1\15.1_Casilda\15.1_Casilda.aut
may 04, 2015 4:20:07 PM org.sleuthkit.autopsy.coreutils.Logger logUserFriendlyOnly
ADVERTENCIA: Error: couldn't open case: 15.1_Casilda
Exception: org.sleuthkit.autopsy.casemodule.CaseActionException: Error opening the case
================================================================================

I open the xml case config file "G:\Autopsy\15.1\15.1_Casilda\15.1_Casilda.aut", and it's fine, isn't corrupt. Their status is identical to that of any other case that opens normally autopsy.

I open de SQLite database "autopsy.db" of this case, and it's OK.

There should be a way to recover the case......(and the time it took!!!!!)
German Schaefer

Postby Mr_Clock » Mon May 11, 2015 11:11 am

AKIO wrote:Error: could not open the case in folder E:\[corret path of the folder where the file is] NPS-2011-SCENARIO4.E01.aut: Error opening the case.

I encountered the same error message every time I tried to open an existing case, no matter if it had been closed properly or not. I tried touble shooting by using different base directories and case names which had no result.

Finally I created a new case where I entered "vK" into the examiner text box instead of "vKü", which I had used in previous cases. I seems that this did the trick as the new case could be opened without any error occurring. Also other cases where I changed the examiner in the .AUT file via notepad could be opened afterwards.
Mr_Clock

Re: "Error opening the case" [SOLVED]

Postby German Schaefer » Mon May 11, 2015 3:05 pm

Perfect Mr_Clock...!!!!

The problem is definitely handling encodings. I had "..mán.." and just edit it to "..man.." in the xml (.aut) it worked perfectly ...!!!

Grateful for the contribution, and will surely be very useful to more than one user.

PD: Excuse me, my english is not very well
German Schaefer

Postby mary » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:38 am

Can you look in the log file for a more detailed explanation for this? Looking through the code, it is usually if the config file has become corrupt or image files have moved. But, in that case other messages usually appear. You can find the log file from "Help -> Open Log Folder"
mary

Return to Autopsy Troubleshooting