IMAGE FILE IS DOES NOT EXIST OR IS INACCESSIBLE

A place for general discussion of sleuthkit.org projects or other open source forensics software.

Moderator: carrier

IMAGE FILE IS DOES NOT EXIST OR IS INACCESSIBLE

Postby AKIO » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:53 pm

Dear Friends,
Running Autopsy 3.1.1, I Select source type to add: Local Disk, then select a local disk: (K:), press Next, select Keyword Search option. The size of (K:) disk is 10 GB. The problem is: while the Autopsy analysing file from K: appears 14615 times the following message: "IMAGE FILE IS DOES NOT EXIST OR IS INACCESSIBLE".
Someone know why this problem occur?

Thanks,

Ákio
AKIO

Re: IMAGE FILE IS DOES NOT EXIST OR IS INACCESSIBLE

Postby carrier » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

That message usually comes up when it is trying to read the image file or 'data source'. In this case, the data source is your USB drive. We've seen this come up more often with USB devices than local image files Could your system have gone to sleep or had some other energy savings settings kick in during the analysis? If you were not interacting with the system, it may have powered off the USB device.
carrier

Postby AKIO » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:52 pm

Dear Carrier,

Are you Brian Carrier?
Only to clarify, the image is on the local disk and not in pendrive.
Do you can tell me if the path to open the file is "long" (like 25 characters of path plus 20 of file name) and contain special characters may occur this error?
=======================================================================================================

Yesterday I installed the new version of Autopsy (3.1.2) and identified another problem:

I try scan an image file (10 GB) and a word list with 36 keywords. The search (elapsed time) took 14:51:59 hours. Also in Autopsy "footnote" appear a message "Analyzing files from 19_charlie-2009-12-11.img", while the bar shoes 100% all the time, even if the scan appear be finished.
I would like to exchange e-mail with you, is it possible? I am very interested in Autopsy tool, because I'm using to try out for my PhD thesis, and I have only one more month to complete the final tests.
Thanks for your attention.
AKIO

Postby carrier » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:42 pm

Yes, that is me.

That isn't that long of a file name. it should be fine.

The reason you most often see it stuck at 100% at the end for a while is because it of the additional files that were added into the system from opening ZIP and other archive files. The progress bar is not smart enough at this point to update its relative scale as Autopsy adds more files to the system.
carrier

Return to General